You can use these search tips if you are using an Internet directory, an Internet search engine, or an online information source, like an electronic encyclopedia.
- Use a + sign in front of words you want to include for sure. +winter +olympics This way you will only get pages back that have both of these words in it.
- Put exact phrases in quotation marks so the search engine will only look for the words together. "united states" This time you will get pages that contain the phrase united states.
- Use a - sign when you want to exclude certain terms. bears -nfl
- This will take out any documents that have to do with the Chicago Bears football team, and give you the ones about animals. Sometimes this trick may leave out some good stuff, though, so try not to use this unless you really have to.
- Try to think of different terms to use in your search. Instead of "fish tank," try aquarium, or "pet care" +fish.